Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Creation Of A Police State

... We don't need the Lunatic Left to make a fuss about George Bush. Heaven knows there's many legitimate concerns about our government. Beside, I do my part to kick G.W. Bush to the right as often as I can.

... I have always thought the Military Raids on Elian Gonzales, the wanton killing of women and children at Waco, the murder of family members at Ruby Ridge were nightmares straight from the old Soviet Union. They are all too quickly becoming the status quo in America!

... Para-Military Police weapons and tactics are needed sometimes, usually in drug raids. I have no problem with the DEA having such units, to be used on criminals. We also need such units to handle homeland security in this age of terrorism. I have never wanted SWAT Teams in our local police force, however. When police become soldiers and soldiers become construction and social workers, sometimes called "nation building", we become LESS FREE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I noticed about their map. They went back twenty years.

I suspect that this information will lead to a call for decriminalization of drug laws.

I didn't read Balko's report though.

I am curious about what the actual number of events is. I suspect that the map and pin graphic exagerates the problem.

Anonymous said...

I tried to read the report but you have to buy it. Oh well.

I did notice that in the book/report summary they said that estimates of no knock type raids are as high as 40,000 per year. If that's the case, statistically the number of botched raids is probably insignificant.

Tiger said...

Yes, the data is over a period of 25 years.

Also, the idea that that the number of botched raids is insignificant depends on how many of these type raids occur each year; within the given locality. Without purchasing the report ...

Regardless, I don't like the idea of SWAT teams in local police forces. Historically, this kind of force has always, ultimately, been used against innocent civilians. People still disappear in Russia even though the old Soviet Union is gone. My neighbor would say; "if you don't do anything wrong, it's not a problem!" That kind of reasoning scares the living HELL out of me.

I'll refer back to Sam Adams's quote; I don't wish to suffer this TAMELY!

Tiger said...

Oh! Also, your quip about this data being used to decriminalize drugs makes sense. This is from CATO, a LIBERTARIAN website!

The thoughts I share with LIBERTARIANS stop when they go too far. I bring forward this subject matter so people will discuss it, freely and openly - 'cause I believe it fosters FREEDOM!